Thursday, April 02, 2015

I Woke Up This Morning



I Woke Up This Morning

I woke up in Oakham
Like I had for seventeen years
Kissed my mother goodbye
Shook my father’s hand
And flew
Over parts of the country
I had read about
Seen on television
And movies

I woke up in San Diego
Like I would for twelve weeks
Tired and disoriented
Of pushups and “yes sir”
In a Navy of concrete and asphalt
That I hadn’t read about
Or seen on television
Or movies

I woke up in Denver
Like I would for seventeen weeks
Staring at photographs
Books and typewriter keys
And learning how to keep
Secrets I would learn
That you can’t read in books
Or see on television
Or movies

I woke up in Virginia Beach
Like I would for four years
Balancing duty and irresponsibility
Heaped in equal measure
On a life that I tried to live
Based on books I’d read
And seen on television
And movies

I woke up this morning
Like I have for fifty years
Still keeping the secrets
Entrusted to me by duty
And irresponsibility
That will never appear in books
On television
Or movies

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home